Call for Submissions: "Back 2 OmniPark"
From 1977 to 2003, OmniPark thrilled, astonished and educated guests of all ages.
…or did it?
In 2021, Brian Evenson, Gemma Files, and 16 other weird-fiction visionaries came together to imagine a theme park that might’ve been.
The resulting anthology, Tales From OmniPark, made the preliminary ballot for a 2021 Bram Stoker Award.
Now we’re going back to the beginning.
Back 2 OmniPark will explore the mysterious backstory behind the park’s creation. How did globe-trotting oil billionaire Dalton Teague meet his wife and co-founder Evelyn — and what did they get up to on their clandestine travels to esoteric corners of the globe? What went on in the top-secret VIP area known as the “Realm Between the Realms?” What was it like to work with the original team of Technosophers? How did the Realm of Mind go so disastrously wrong? What is the true and ultimate purpose behind OmniPark?
Tell us a story that reveals the secret history of OmniPark – focusing on any or all of the Seven Realms:
- The Realm of Life — a primeval jungle zoo and aquarium
- The Realm of the Cell — an encounter with protozoan predators
- The Realm of the Deep — a voyage aboard a wondrous submarine
- The Realm of the Stars — a space station exploring the cosmos
- The Realm of Man — a face-to-face encounter with humankind’s ancestors
- The Realm of the Particle — a reality-warping adventure at the quantum scale
- The Realm of Time — a Victorian mansion housing a time machine
- Be aware that weird fiction does not mean “stories that are weird.” Weird fiction is a specific literary genre – and only submissions within this genre will be considered.
- Familiarize yourself with the world of OmniPark. Get a feel for the characters, setting, and tone. Stay in-canon.
- Recognize that most of this anthology’s spots are reserved for award-winning authors. You story will need to stand out from a crowd of horror and weird fiction professionals who are highly familiar with the OmniPark mythos.
We are paying $100 for weird fiction of approx. 3,500 to 5,000 words.